Links from other websites to your own hotel website are the foundation of good search ranking, but they also play an important role in exposing new people to your property. A hotel’s goal should be to have a wide and varied link profile from all manner of sources. In this episode, we discuss ways that a hotel can earn links the right way as well as some pitfalls to avoid.
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON BELOW TO START LISTENING.
If you like what you hear, please leave a comment below, share it with your friends, and also leave a review.
What is “link building”?
Process of earning other (external) web pages to link back to a page on your website.
Why is link building important?
- Links are used by search engines and are one of the primary ranking factors
- Links = popularity & quality
- On-topic links matter more than off-topic links ~ Authority on a subject
- Anchor text relevance is also important ~ established relevance
What does a hotel need in order to build links?
- Up to date, mobile friendly website
- Establishes trust & authority
- Positive user experience
- High quality, useful / unique content
- Resources (travel planning tools)
- Research / case studies, etc.
- Unique deals or packages (ex: discount for teachers, military, etc.)
- People need something of value to link to…
- Patience, Time & Energy
- This isn’t a quick process, kids
What is the link building process?
- Research → Define goals & targets
- What page(s) are you trying to build links to?
- Who would naturally link to this?
- Be realistic
- Compile a list & gather contact information
- Keep it simple → Organize google doc or excel sheet
- Start Building relationships
- Research sources & authors, connect on Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Share other content from sources
- Work on direct outreach
- Communicate value
- Don’t be annoying
- Track / Monitor results
What are the types of Links A Hotel Can Build?
- Content Creation & Promotion – Create compelling content that people will want to reference and link to, and tell people about it.
- Submissions – Submit your news to press release aggregators, submit your site to directories, etc.
- Reviews & Mentions – Put your product, service, or site in front of influential bloggers.
- Links from Friends & Partners – Get people you know and people you work with to link to your site.
What Are Some Link Building Tactics, Tips, & Tools?
We have a blog about this, check it out here → http://www.fueltravel.com/blog/10-ways-to-identify-link-building-opportunities-for-hotels/
- Set up Google alerts for your hotel (www.google.com/alerts)
- Monitor brand mentions (Ex: news coverage)
- Monitor relevant non-brand mentions (“hotel discounts for teachers”)
- Partner with local businesses → Two fold benefit – can build links but also build additional business
- Events / Event Venues
- Schools / Colleges
- Scope out competitive links
- Majestic SEO & ahrefs.com
- See what links your competitors have and if you can get a link from that source also
- Find brand or URL misspellings
- Tools.seobook.com & Tlcseo.com
- Easy links
- Online directories
- Local listings
- CVB / local portal sites
- Monitor social media for brand or relevant non-brand mentions
- Mentions / @YourPage
- Have a blog → Create awesome content / resources
**Not every tactic will work for every property → Find what works best for you!
How can I build legitimate links without being shady?
Google Penguin Update → April 2012
- Targets spammy / spady link tactics
- Now part of the core Google algo
- NEVER pay for links. Ever. Just don’t do it.
- Link farms
- Fake / spam websites
- Paid listings
- Links acquired through hosting guest bloggers, etc.
- Slowly build links over time
- Do not magically acquire tons of links overnight
- Be genuine → If you build it they will link
- Smart promotion and outreach
- Have an amazing website experience / 10x content
Fuel is speaking at the SC HSMAI meeting in December in Myrtle Beach – More details to come!
In the News
American Hotel & Lodging Study Results
https://www.tnooz.com/article/hotel-tech-in-room-functionality-and-guest-services-a-digital-overview/ or https://www.ahla.com/press-release/new-survey-reveals-latest-hotel-trends-across-country
What A Trump Presidency Could Mean for Business Travel
Marriott Introduces Rooms for The Health Conscious – http://hotelmarketing.com/index.php/content/article/marriott_introduces_rooms_for_the_health_conscious
(^ a cool thing they’re doing can also be a link building tactic through promotion of this option)
Download the Fuel Leisure Travel Study at www.fueltravel.com/study
Follow Us on Twitter: